Select language: esdefrzh-CNja

Women, Infants, Children (WIC)

Breastfeeding Information


* The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for the first year of life.


* All WIC Offices have trained staff available to help mothers with basic breastfeeding needs.


* The Stark County WIC Program has a Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) on staff.


Contact your Local WIC Office to learn how to get more Breastfeeding Information and Support


Ohio Department of Health Policy on Infant Feeding

The Ohio Department of Health, in alignment with the American Academy of Pediatrics, recommends exclusive breastfeeding for six months, followed by continued breastfeeding as complementary foods are introduced, with continuation of breastfeeding for one year or longer as mutually desired by mother and infant. i The Ohio Department of Health recognizes that there are rare individual and/or family circumstances in which breastfeeding must be limited or is contraindicated.




In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Home > Women, Infants and Children > Breastfeeding Information